What is The Audubon Signature Program for Residential Communities?
The Audubon Signature Program is designed to provide assistance to developers and landowners who want to design their community with the environment at the forefront of the project. The Audubon Signature Program helps the community managers achieve both their economic and environmental objectives.
The Program begins when the development registers, fees start at $9,500 and additional expenses vary among different projects.The program proceeds as follows.
* The initial site assessment
* The development of a Natural Resource Management Plan that serves as a construction manual for the property.
* Implementation of the Natural Resource Management Plan
* Site visits during major phases of the project
* Training and education for construction and operational personnel as well as consulting staff.
* An on-site Environmental Audit to assess compliance with program and site specific requirements
* Long- term management in accordance with Audubon Signature standards
At Portofino in Clayton we are in the Audubon Signature Program and we are charged with preserving the beauty and nature of this 400 acre property. The development is on land that was owned by moonshiners, so the land has not been touched or built on or been disturbed in many many years. There are 100 year old oak trees, creeks that have carved out deep gorges in the rock over time. There are many many species of wild creatures that live here.
Some of the procedures we have adopted are, landscaping with drought resistant plants and shrubs. We irrigate all the grass and plants from the pond. We have strict rules in place with regards to runoff and the cutting down of trees. We have fewer homes and many lots of 3/4 of an acre and larger. We have approximetly seven miles of trails with eighteen bridges that cross the creeks and wetlands.
Call (919) 601-2268 or email irishdavid2011@gmail .com